Barbaric Yawp! Poetry Contest
In honor of National Poetry Month
The Barbaric Yawp! Poetry Contest was begun in honor of National Poetry month in April. We accept poetry submissions from all over the world and celebrate innovative, imagistic poems that delight and move us to be a part of this collaborative, celebratory project. Select submissions are interpreted into videos using stop-motion or artistically rendered live action shots.
One contest winner will receive online publication with an accompanying video and a $200 cash prize. Additional poems will also be selected for online publication and video interpretation.
View previous videos here!
This contest is sponsored by the Bethany Lutheran College Ada Stokes Writing Center and is a collaboration of the Bethany Lutheran College Media Arts Department, Bethany Lutheran College, and Inkwell Literary Magazine.
Inkwell is not currently accepting poetry submissions for the Barbaric Yawp! Poetry Contest. Poetry and other creative writing may be submitted for Inkwell’s online blog, The Well, or the annual Inkwell print publication.
- Submit online via Submittable.
- We welcome up to 3 poems per submission in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere by withdrawing it via Submittable or sending a message via Submittable to let us know which poem(s) you’re withdrawing.
- Entries must be previously unpublished.
- For this contest, we are not seeking long poems or translations.
- Please do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript. Your name and contact information should be included in the cover letter of your submission.
- Deadline: We are not currently accepting submissions for this contest.
Eligibility and judging
- This contest is open to all writers, regardless of previous publication.
- We welcome work from students and others affiliated with Bethany Lutheran College.
- This contest will be read blindly.
- Inkwell staff and contest judges are not eligible for this contest.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RIGHTS AND DISTRIBUTION
Accepted entires will be distributed to faculty and students within the Bethany Lutheran College Media Arts Department who may create original videos that include a narration and either stop-motion or live-action footage. If chosen for video production, poems will appear alongside their respective videos in the online publication on Inkwell’s website. Given the collaborative nature of these video creations, the videos will posted on multiple Bethany Lutheran College department websites and social media platforms. Accepted submissions may be used to create videos through April 2021.
Inkwell acquires first-time North American rights. After publication, all other rights revert to the author and the work may be reprinted as long as appropriate acknowledgement to Inkwell is made.
Inkwell is committed to running an ethical contest. We believe the role of contests and publications is to connect readers and writers via quality work, and we agree to be clear and transparent to our submitters about our contest guidelines and judging process.