see your work published
Inkwell is the student literary magazine at Bethany Lutheran College. It contains a variety of creative work including poetry, prose, short plays, creative nonfiction, non-English works alongside translations, and visual art. We publish annually in the spring.
- We welcome submissions from Bethany students, alumni, and staff. We look for quality, polished pieces that represent the best of the Bethany community’s creative work.
- Inkwell does not accept previously published work.
- Once submissions are accepted, you may submit your work to email@example.com with “Spring 2023 Submission” and the genre/type of submission in the subject line.
- Submissions should be attached as either .doc, .docx, .pdf* or .jpeg* files. (*for art submissions)
- Multiple submissions are accepted.
- Please include a brief cover letter and bio with your submission. Also, we ask that you let us know if you’re submitting as a current student, alumni, or faculty/staff member.
- The submission deadline is 11:55 p.m. on February 1st, 2023
We appreciate work grounded in strong images, but try us. We often don’t know what we’ll love till we read it. Submit poetry work single spaced.
We primarily look for short stories, but novel excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. We typically publish pieces under 5,000 words.
We are interested in photography and other visual art. All visual art will be published in color. Electronic submissions only.
Non-English & Translations
We publish original non-English submissions accompanied by their English translation. We prefer poetry and flash fiction/flash essays in this category.
We welcome sharp, engaging plays ten pages and under. Excerpts from larger works are acceptable if self-contained. Intended for screen or
We are interested in memoir, personal essays, profiles, lyric essays, and literary journalism. Book reviews and traditional academic essays are not considered. We typically publish pieces under 5,000 words.
THE WELL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We also regularly feature fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, book and event reviews, interviews, as well as musings on writing and the writing life on The Well, our blog. We accept submissions to The Well year-round, and provide editorial feedback to contributors. Submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All accepted pieces go through an editorial process.
Inkwell staff is also willing to offer critiques to students preparing work for submissions.
Students are strongly encouraged to use the Writing Center to workshop pieces.